Children's Hope Solidarity Team at MABE Orphanage -- Gressier, Haiti

Children's Hope Solidarity Team at MABE Orphanage -- Gressier, Haiti

Monday, December 13, 2010

December, 2010 -- Leisa's Haiti Journal #1: Haiti Burning

Baby Jeffy born early because of tear gas.

Joseph Alexandre with tear gas canister.

One of the lost paintings.

St. Pierre Church and tent city
Dear Friends,

As you probably know by now, massive uprisings, shootings and fire blockades have left me unable to either leave Haiti or communicate with you since landing here over a week ago. Building on the destruction of the earthquake and continued threat of the UN carried cholera, the political frustrations over the recent presidential election racketeering including ballot destruction, closures of voting places and even murder only served to spark the flames of frustration that have been burning in Haiti since the first of the year. Now there are literal flames.

It landed in the street. We had to skirt fire blockades of burning tires on motorcycles when we finally were able to get supplies up to the Mabo orphanage. Coming down was even harder. Though threatened, we managed to get back safely without surrendering our own gasoline for the fires.

Sadly, most aid workers fled Haiti with the increased cholera threat, just when they are needed. The death toll now has risen to over 2,000. Nearly 100,000 have been treated, and many more need medical care in places where not enough treatment centers or aid workers exist.

All supplies are hard to come by. After days of store closures, yesterday was the first day some stores opened. No bread, no meat, lines two hours long at the banks and gas stations.

We took advantage of the break in demonstrations to get a first hand look into St. Pierre tent city, where we heard reports of excessive force by some UN troops. Two children and an elderly woman died after 5 hours of tear gas assault. Nepalese UN troops have been identified as the carriers of the cholera strain introduced to Haiti Now in the shadow of St. Pierre church it was other Nepalese troops who tried to block a protest march near the election headquarters. At the corner of what used to be a flower market, library and church, rocks were thrown at troops, one was badly injured. The retaliation was relentless.

We interviewed a half dozen residents and a community organizer with “Concern”, Joseph Alexandre for their report. “They were toying with us, shooting the gas and plastic bullets at us, pausing then starting up again. This went on for hours and hours. They surrounded the camp and shot without regard into the center, where the children were. It was like the tear gas was a toy for them.”

A new young mother named Jania invited me into her tent to see baby Jeffy - born a month early the day after Nigerian UN troops were able to convince the Nepalese troops to halt the assault. Their efforts came too late for some. Baby Jeffy wasn’t supposed to see 2010. He was supposed to be spared this cruel existence until after the dawn of the new year.

At least his life was spared. Many children and babies had blood running from their noses…other children did not make it at all.

Charcoal marks and burn holes are reminders of the assault. Tents have burn holes, bullets and gas canisters mark their random landings.

All of the paintings that used to line the rock wall of the church plaza lay scorched and mangled in a muddied mass next to the generator that had ignited when a red hot tear gas canister set it off. One charred painting peaked out at me, just the eyes remaining.

How much more burning can Haiti take?

From Haiti, peace, Leisa

Leisa Faulkner, Executive Director
Children's Hope

3025 A Cambridge Road
Cameron Park, CA 95682
Text me @ 916.801.4184 916.801.4184

No comments: